You may not ever think of connecting seniors and video games together, but in fact, video games are a excellent source of stimulation and entertainment that can greatly benefit seniors in a number of different ways. Many retirement communities in Orlando have entertainment that engage seniors in social interaction and a stimulating array of activities.
The video game community has changed significantly within the past 30 years, and virtual interaction is now mainstream and extremely popular with families. Seniors may never imagine playing video games, but if you have grandchildren, you might want to think about playing the Wii with them next time they offer!
- Studies have shown that those recovering from strokes have engaged in playing virtual reality games to help improve physical functions that employ the use of their arms.
- Interactive games such as golfing and bowling on the Wii or Xbox video game console can help improve physical fitness and stimulates the heart and mind. Popular in many retirement communities in Orlando!
- These types of games can be a good replacement for the actual thing; you may not be as likely to bowl or golf but it helps keep active and makes you feel young!
- You’re able to connect with your kids and grandkids in a fun and exciting way by playing along with them.
- Stimulating the brain with video games can help improve memory and keeps you mentally fit.
- Your reflexes can be improved and you’ll be able to process information more promptly simply by engaging in virtual interaction and video games.
- There are a number of games that employ balance techniques and physical fitness and gives you a reason to get off the couch!
- Playing video games can help improve your mood and ease your mind!
With a number of different of activities to choose from at Oakmonte Village, there won’t be a time where you will be out of activities in which to partake. Our senior living community in Orlando offers everything you need to live an active, enjoyable life without having to step foot outside of Oakmonte Village. Call us today at 407-732-5801 to learn more about our independent, active living community.
It seems as though many people see social media as a young person’s game, but in reality a large number of users are adults over the age of 35. You may think that some are too old for social media, but seniors actually benefit from using it in a number of different ways. For those who don’t live in retirement communities in Orlando, social media can be an outlet for social interactions and communication.
- If you have family living in another state or city and can’t find the time to visit or see them, social media can keep families connected and closer just by interacting and keeping in touch with each other online.
- It gives other family members peace of mind when they are able to interact with one another on a daily basis.
- Socializing is by far one of the most significant benefits to seniors, especially when they are unable to leave the house for a significant amount of time.
- Seniors can go online and check their social media sites to see photos and videos of their family, and helps them feel closer to them. They are also able to communicate instantly with family and media is quicker and easier to share.
- Social media makes seniors feel young. Social interaction helps those who are isolated to their home and it also stimulates the brain and brightens your mood.
- Learning something new and keeping up with technology doesn’t have to be intimidating. It can be fun and exciting for seniors, especially when you are able to connect with your friends and family.
At our retirement community in Orlando, we not only offer ways for seniors to participate and interact within an endless array of activities and events, but we also offer classes for our residents to learn about computers and many activities you wouldn’t have even thought of picking up until now. Oakmonte Village is an Orlando senior living community that strives on providing excellence in the care our residents receive. Call us today at 407-732-5801 to learn more about our active senior lifestyle.
Seniors often forget about the importance of exercise as they continue to age, but many often fear the risks of exercising. What many aren’t aware of is that exercising can help prevent broken bones, and hip injuries. Living in Orlando retirement communities doesn’t mean you have to stop being active. By engaging in some low risk exercising, your body can develop stronger bones and a larger resistance to injuries that may occur just by falling.
One of the most widely occurring accidents and injuries involving seniors include hip injuries and broken bones. Like muscles, bones can be strengthened by exercising and putting some stress on the bones. It’s a good idea to include foods such as cheese, yogurt and leafy green vegetables in your diet. Along with including sources of calcium in your diet and taking calcium supplements, exercise is a great way to keep strong healthy bones.
Although it becomes more difficult for seniors to participate in exercises, remaining productive as you get older will lower the risk of injuring yourself. Regular exercise that incorporates resistance activities can help strengthen bones and help prevent bone loss due to aging. Low impact exercises such as walking can be a great place to start if your bones are weak. Squats create movement in your hip bones and strengthen them by providing weight on your thighs that encourage bone-strengthening. Many Orlando retirement communities have fitness areas and group classes to help seniors stay fit and active.
By incorporating some of these tips into your daily living, you can help prevent bone loss and reduce injuries that you may be susceptible to. At Oakmonte Village, we offer exercise classes and a number of different activities to get you feeling healthy. Contact our senior living Orlando community today at 407-732-5800 to learn more about our amenities and active Orlando senior living.
Many seniors have the concern of finances, especially if they haven’t been saving enough money for retirement throughout the years. The economy and health care costs also add to the financial management crisis some are experiencing in their retirement years. Taking control of your financial situation with assistance from loved ones can help but often it can be stressful on both ends. Get a head start and take hold of your burdens with some important tips that may be challenging, but will be rewarding in the end. You will want to pay special attention to these tips if you want to live in a luxury Orlando retirement community like Oakmonte Village.
The best place to start is figuring out your situation. That may sound simple, but many seniors neglect keeping track of your expenses and income. It’s good to know how much money is available to you, your sources of income and how much you receive. Write down a list of finances that are fixed, such as mortgage, credit card payments and car payments and create a list of expenses that may change from month to month such as groceries. If you live in an Orlando retirement community, you should still keep track of everything you purchase.
Budgeting is one of the most important aspects of trying to keep your financial situation on track. Outline a budget of spending that details what you’re spending and where, and if you have any money left over. After retirement, every penny counts and it’s best to watch where you spend your money to avoid falling behind.
Find other ways to save money that may be helpful for those in who live at home or in Orlando senior living communities, such as looking for coupons on groceries and health care products like vitamins. This is a time to be frugal with your money and saving money wherever you can, will make a difference. Take advantage of senior discounts that include restaurants, insurance companies, and more. Don’t be afraid to ask if someone offers a senior discount.
Finding ways to save money can be important in maintaining a life you deserve. With the right planning, every senior can establish affordable care in senior living communities. At our Orlando retirement community, we strive to provide excellence in the care our residents receive. Enjoy independent senior living at Oakmonte Village with our active lifestyle.
Keeping fit gets more and more important the older you get, but many seniors, even at an Orlando senior living community may be disheartened to exercise because of the risks that may be involved for someone with health conditions or because of the potential for injuries. Many people tend to jump right into exercise but ignore the risk of injuries that could come from sudden or over exercising. For active seniors, staying fit brings many advantages. By following a few guidelines, you can stay safe while keeping up with a healthy senior lifestyle.
Start slowly: Jumping into rigorous exercise more than 3 to 5 times a week can push your body too hard, leading to unnecessary injuries. Building up your stamina and easing into exercise will prevent you from becoming injured.
Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water throughout your exercise helps you stay hydrated, which helps improve performance. Don’t expect to stay energized very long if you’re not properly hydrated. You will more than likely tire out more quickly and possibly suffer from cramps and heat exhaustion.
Pay attention to your body: If you start to feel ill or develop any pains, stop exercising. You don’t want to get any worse, so it may be best to stop your exercises and contact your doctor as a precaution.
Learn the right exercise techniques: You’d be surprised how many people don’t know the proper techniques to their favorite exercise. Just by learning how to hold weights or learning proper positioning can help reduce injury. With proper techniques, you will be a lot more likely to prevent muscle injuries.
Regardless of age, practicing safe workout routines can help you get the most out of staying fit and being active. At our Orlando senior living community at Oakmonte Village, seniors can take advantage of our exercise classes and learn how valuable it is to continue being active. If you’re interested in independent living in Orlando, contact us at 407-732-5800 to learn more.
As a senior, choosing your next living option can be stressful, and adapting to a new change later in life can be daunting. If you are considering moving into an Orlando senior living community, you will need to assess your needs and the possibility of those needs to change. Each senior living community is different, and it’s important to plan and choose which type of senior housing fits your needs and lifestyle.
Although your health care needs may change over time, you will want to talk with your doctor about your health and what special options you may want to look for in a senior living community. They may assess if you need help with daily activities or if you need regular medical care for a chronic condition. This can help you make the best decision that will help take care of your needs in the future. Your health care assessment may be one of the biggest concerns when choosing Orlando senior housing, but the level of care you will need may depend on the type of community you will be most interested.
Independent living: If you are looking to stay independent but are interested in housing exclusive to seniors, independent living communities may be the right choice for you. These communities can be houses or apartments and typically have activities and events that are accessible to those living in the community. You may want to consider this option if you need minimal assistance with daily living activities and enjoy the idea of socializing with others in your community.
Assisted living: Those who need more help with daily activities and taking medications may need assisted living. This option may be a good choice if you don’t need around the clock health care but need slightly more care than someone would in an independent living community. Most communities provide apartment type rooms and also offer dining and social activities.
Nursing homes: These are similar to assisted living communities, but nursing homes provide the most medical care for those who need constant medical and personal care needs. If the care you need for yourself has been overwhelming, this may be your best option.
Our independent senior living community at Oakmonte Village has everything you will need for a comfortable and satisfying life. With a number of daily activities and events to choose from, you won’t have to worry about ever stepping foot outside of Oakmonte Village. If you’re interested in our Orlando senior living community, call us at 407-732-5800 to begin the next chapter in your life and to learn about how you keep living the life you want.
Although many of us feel as if driving is second nature, it can be easy for us to give little attention to driving, which can lead to inattentiveness and even accidents. Most accidents are caused by a driver being inattentive, and can be completely unnecessary and avoided. Whether you live in your own home or in a senior housing Orlando community, it can be very stressful to drive in certain conditions. There are many tips that can help you become a better driver and avoid unnecessary accidents.
- Get regular eye exams. Unfortunately our senses tend to decline with age. If you are hearing impaired, you may not be able to hear oncoming emergency vehicles, trains, or other cars. Without proper eye care, it can be difficult to see clearly and to drive at night.
- Avoid driving at night. If absolutely necessary, take some time to adjust to the darkness and make sure your windows, mirrors and headlights are clean to avoid glare or anything else that may obstruct your vision.
- Check the weather. Choose your driving conditions wisely; driving in bad weather can be dangerous if you are not cautious. If driving in bad weather is necessary, avoid driving fast on slippery roads, and put distance between you and the driver ahead in case you need to suddenly stop.
- Exercise regularly. This may seem irrelevant to driving, but staying physically active can help with strength and flexibility when driving. It will be easier for you to quickly react and it can also help you turn and look over your shoulder while driving and parking. Even just stretching or walking can help increase physicality when performing any movements while driving.
- Drive in optimal circumstances. If you’re uncomfortable driving in bad weather, heavy traffic, or unfamiliar areas, avoid it. Don’t drive if you’re feeling tired, upset or under the influence. While you’re driving, avoid talking or texting on the phone, eating, putting on makeup, or anything that can take your focus away from the road.
Our senior housing Orlando community at Oakmonte Village has just about everything you need so you won’t have to set foot outside our senior living community in Orlando. We offer an array of events every month at our community and throughout Orlando where you can leave the driving to us. Call us at 407-732-5800 to learn more about our senior living Orlando community and the amenities we offer.